Utility Bill Assistance


Connecticut LIHEAP utility assistance program

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, can assist Connecticut residents with paying their heating, utility, and possibly even cooling bills. The program is funded by the federal government, and benefits and the amount of assistance varies by state. Applicants need to meet a number of qualifications, including meeting low income guidelines. Grants may also be focused on assisting families that pay a high percentage of their income towards their utility bills.

The federal government sets funding levels for Connecticut and other states every year. Depending on the amount of government grants and cash available in your county, residents may be able to apply a couple times per year, and receive both “regular” and “crisis” assistance.

Individuals will need to apply at the community action agency or social service office in your county. The local agency provider will make any LIHEAP payments directly to your utility company on your behalf, and the money does not go to the applicant. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program may help with a variety of utility bills, including natural gas or propane bills, heating oil, and more. As indicated, the LIHEAP home heating and cooling program has two main components, which are crisis and subsidy/regular.

The LIHEAP crisis component operates during the winter until all funds are paid out. Assistance is only offered for Connecticut people who are faced with a disconnection, or who have had their power turned off or disconnected. Those who are running out of fuel may also qualify. Low income levels also need to be met as well. The crisis component really focuses on assisting households in a crisis during the winter months. Money may be paid in the form of a supplemental grant to their heating and fuel assistance benefit.

The regular or subsidy component operates in the fall, and applications are usually accepted beginning in September. Most of the grants and cash from this program goes to low income families or people faced with poverty, and financial assistance is prioritized for seniors, families with children, and the disabled.




The application period will usually open for seniors and disabled first. They are given priority. Once they have applied, then other lower income families in Connecticut can usually apply for assistance. Thousands of residents across the state will normally qualify for help with their bills.

Grants are paid out to income eligible households, and funds can help pay for home heating bills, which includes electricity, natural gas, wood, kerosene, propane, or coal. LIHEAP grants are made to both homeowners and renters.

While not as common, and it really depends on extra funding, the LIHEAP summer cooling program provides qualified Connecticut households with a one-time cash grant/payment to help pay air conditioning and cooling bills. Free fans and air conditioners may be provided for households as well. It usually only is offered for households in which the residents are at risk for health problems associated with excess heat or loss of utility service. This includes homes with a resident who is over 65 years of age or disabled. Families with a resident who has a serious or life threatening medical condition can also usually receive assistance from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

Agencies to apply at

Action for Bridgeport Community Development, Inc. (A.B.C.D.)
1070 Park Ave
Bridgeport, CT 06604-3400
Telephone:(203) 366-8241
Offers LIHEAP in the counties of Bridgeport, Easton, Fairfield, Monroe, Stratford, Trumbull

Bristol Community Organization, Inc.
55 South Street
Bristol, CT 06010
Call the non-profit at (860) 584-2725
Low income in Bristol, Burlington, Farmington, Plainville, or Plymouth should call this agency.

Community Action Agency of New Haven, Inc.
781 Whalley Avenue
New Haven, CT 06515
Dial (203) 387-7700
Families in East Haven, Hamden, New Haven, North Haven, or West Haven need to call.

Community Action Committee of Danbury, Inc. also supports Fairfield
66 North Street
Danbury, CT 06810
Primary phone - (203) 744-4700

Community Renewal Team, Inc.
555 Windsor Street
Hartford, CT 06120-2418
Call (860) 560-5639
Ths community action agency covers most of the state, including the towns and counties of Avon, Bloomfield, Brnaford, Canton, Chester, Clinton, Cromwell. Deep River, Durham, East Granoy, East Haddam, East Hampton, East Hartford, Enfield, Glastonbury, Granby, Hartford, Killingworth, Manchester, Marlborough, Middletown, Newington, Rocky Hill, Simsbury, South Windsor, Suffield, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windso, Windsor Locks

CTE, Inc.
34 Woodland Avenue
Stamford, CT 06902
Primary telephone:(203) 352-4844
LIHEAP is offered in Darien, Greenwich, Stamford

Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc.
180 Clinton Street
New Britain, CT 06053
Call (860) 225-8601
Hartford and New Britain are supported.

New Opportunities, Inc.
232 North Elm Street
Waterbury, CT 06702
Main telephone:(203) 575-9799
Counties are Barkhamstead, Berlin, Bethlehem, Cheshire, Colebrook, Goshen, Hartland, Harwinton, Litchfield, Meriden, Middlebury, Morns, Naugatuck, New Hartford, Prospect, Southbury, Thomaston, Torrington, Wallingford, Waterbury, Watertown, Winchester, Wolcott, Woodbury, Meriden, Berlin, Worthington, Wallingford

Norwalk Economic Opportunity Now, Inc. (NEON)
98 South Main Street
South Norwalk, CT 06854
Primary telephone:(203) 899-2420
In addition to Norwalk, offers LIHEAP in New Canaan, Weston, Westport, Wilton




TEAM, Inc.
30 Elizabeth Street
Derby, CT 06418
Primary phone (203) 736-5420
Supports Beacon Falls, Bethany, Derby, Milford, Orange, Oxford, Seymour, Shelton, Woodbridge

Thames Valley Council For Community Action, Inc. (TVCCA)
One Sylvandale Road
Jewett City, CT 06351
(860) 889-1365
Residents of New London or Windham should call this agency.

The Access Community Action Agency
1315 Main Street
Willimantic, CT 06226
Main telephone:(860) 450-7452
Residents of New London, Tolland, and Windham can call about LIHEAP.