Utility Bill Assistance



Illinois LIHEAP - Low income energy bill assistance

A focus of the Illinois Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program is to help low income families pay their utility bills, with a focus on assisting with home heating bills during the winter. Some aid may be provided during the summer to help with cooling bills and expenses. Most of the assistance provided is one time, and the amount paid out will depend on many factors including the household’s income, fuel type, and number of people in the home.

The state of Illinois works with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to fund and administer LIHEAP. Applications and administration of it occurs at the local town and county level by your community action agency or another not-for-profit agency in your area, such as a social service office.

Utility assistance for regular bill can be provided by LIHEAP. This will be a onetime grant payment for qualified low income families. People applying need to be able to prove that they are responsible for their home heating costs, and they need to meet low income levels.

Some cash grants can be provided by Illinois Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program to pay for reconnection, costs to repair a furnace, and crisis funds to replenish the heating supply for your home.

Money can be used to pay for replacement, tune-up, repair, or replacement of your furnace or heating system. Your local community action agency will also accept and process applications for this LIHEAP benefit.

Other services provided by LIHEAP, in addition to grants and cash to offset the costs of increasing utility bill and home energy expenses, includes energy counseling, education, and outreach. This is in addition to the direct financial assistance provided. Not that an overdue bill or disconnect notice is not required to apply for or receive LIHEAP assistance in Illinois. The emergency, or crisis assistance component, is available to eligible households whose utility service has been disconnected, if you have run out of heating fuel/oil or crisis assistance can be paid out for homeowners or renters whose furnace is determined unsafe to operate or non-operational.






B.C.M.W. Community Services, Inc. of Bond, Clinton, Marion, Washington County. 909 East Rexford, Centralia, IL 62801-0729, call (618) 532-7380

Christian, Clay, Effingham, Fayette, Montgomery, Moultrie, Shelby County. C.E.F.S. Economic Opportunity Corporation, 1805 South Banker Street, Effingham, IL 62401-0928, call (217) 342-2193

Knox County. Carver Community Action Agency, 311 East Main Street, Suite 606, Galesburg, IL 61402-0028, call (309) 342-0158

Champaign County Regional Planning Commission, 1776 East Washington Street, Urbana, IL 61802, call (217) 328-3313

City of Chicago Department of Human Services, 1615 W. Chicago Avenue, Suite 350, Chicago, IL 60622-5127, call (312) 746-8545

Boone, Winnebago County. City of Rockford Human Services Department, 612 North Church Street, Rockford, IL 61103, call (815) 987-5782

DeWitt, Fulton, Logan, Mason, Menard, Piatt County. Community Action Partnership of Central Illinois, 1800 West Fifth Street, Lincoln, IL 62656-9117, call (217) 732-2159

Community Action Partnership of Lake County, Waukegan, IL 60085, call (847) 249-4330

Chicago and County. Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County (CEDA), 208 South LaSalle Street, Suite 1900, Chicago, IL 60604-1001, call (312) 795-8819

Regions of Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, and Williamson County. Crosswalk Community Action Agency, 410 W. Main Street, West Frankfort, IL 62896-2259, call (618) 932-6438

Decatur-Macon County Opportunities Corp., 1122 East Marietta Street, Decatur, IL 62521-1324, call (217) 428-0155

DeKalb County - Community Contacts is the administering agency. The phone number is 815-758-3835.

Dupage County Community Services, 421 North County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187, call (630) 407-6500

Ford, Iroquois, and Vermilion County. East Central Illinois Community Action Agency, 56 N. Vermilion Street, Danville, IL 61834-1335, call (217) 443-2705

Embarras River Basin Agency, Inc. covers the counties of Clark, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Jasper, Lawrence, and Richland. 400 West Pleasant Street, Greenup, IL 62428, call (217) 923-3113

Counties of Calhoun, Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Illinois Valley Economic Development Corporation, 223 South Macoupin Street, Gillespie, IL 62033-0088, call (217) 839-4431

Kankakee County Community Services, Inc., 657 East Court Street, Suite 207, Kankakee, IL 60901, call (815) 933-7883.

Kendall-Grundy Community Action offers utility assistance. 811 W. John Street, Yorkville, IL 60560, call (630) 553-9100.

Madison County Community Development offers LIHEAP. 130 Hillsboro Ave., Edwardsville, IL 62025-1636, call (618) 692-8940

For LIHEAP in McHenry County, call the Housing Authority, 1108 North Seminary Road, Woodstock, IL 60098-1109, call (815) 338-7752

Residents of the counties of Cass, Morgan, and Scott can call MCS Community Services, 345 W. State Street, Jacksonville, IL 62650-2093, call (217) 243-9404

Livingston, McLean County. Mid Central Community Action, Inc., 1301 W. Washington Street, Bloomington, IL 61701, call (309) 829-0691.

Counties JoDaviess, Whiteside, Stephenson are supported by Northwestern Illinois Community Action Agency, 103-109 N. Chicago Ave., Freeport, IL 61032-4100, call (815) 232-3141

Peoria Citizens Committee For Economic Opportunity, Inc., 711 W. McBean Street, Peoria, IL 61605-2254, call (309) 671-3900

Residents of Henry, Mercer, and Rock Island County. Project NOW, Inc., 418 19th Street, P.O. Box 3970, Rock Island, IL 61201-3971, call (309) 793-6391

Sangamon County Department of Community Resources, 2833 South Grand Avenue East, Suite C100, Springfield, IL 62703, dial (217) 535-3120

Alexander, Hardin, Johnson, Massac, Pope, Pulaski, Union County. Shawnee Development Council, Inc., 530 West Washington, Karnak, IL 62956-0298. Call (618) 634-2201




St. Clair County Community Action Agency, 10 Public Square, Suite 200, Belleville, IL 62220-1624, call (618) 277-6790.

Counties - Tazewell, Woodford. Tazwood Community Services, Inc., 2005 South Main Street-Field Shopping Center, Morton, IL 61550-2915, call (309) 266-9941

Bureau, Carroll, LaSalle, Lee, Marshall, Ogle, Putnam, Stark, Whiteside  Counties - Tri-County Opportunities Council, 405 Emmons Avenue, Rock Falls, IL 61071-0610, call (815) 625-7830

Kane County - Rivers Head Start Agency, 1661 Landmark Road, Aurora, IL 60506, call (630) 264-1444.

The regions of Adams, Brown, Pike, and Schuyler. Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials Quincy, IL 62306-0827, call (217) 224-8171

Edwards, Gallatin, Hamilton, Saline, Wabash, Wayne, and White Counties. Wabash Area Development, Inc. 110 Latham Street, Enfield, IL 62835-0070. Call (618) 963-2387

West Central Community Services/Head Start Program, 321 East Euclid St., Monmouth, IL 61462. Call (309) 734-3151

Western Egyptian Economic Opportunity Council, Steeleville, IL 62288-0007. Residents of Monroe, Perry, and Randolph can call (618) 965-3458.

Counties of Hancock, Henderson, McDonough, Warren. Western Illinois Regional Council Community Action Agency. 223 South Randolph, Macomb, IL 61455-2209, call (309) 837-2997

Will County Center for Community Concerns, address - 304 N. Scott Street, Joliet, IL 60432-4035, Call (815) 722-0722


By: Jon McNamara


[Home] [Contact] [About Us] [Privacy Policy]